Saturday 8 December 2012

MUG COSY CRAZY


When I saw the cover of issue 21 of MOLLIE MAKES I really liked the owl wrist warmers.  They looked so cosy and the owls design was very eye catching.


I didn't have the right size double ended needles to make the wrist warmers right away so I decided to start with the mug cosy by the same designer,  TANYA ANTONOVA.
 I didn't have the right wools or needles for that either but I thought I would give it a go.
 I have made a couple of mug warmers prior to this that I had designed myself using a cross stitch design of a reindeer to make them Christmassy.
 I am not a very fast knitter and I would never call myself an expert.  This is a very easy pattern to knit - if anyone has been wanting to try cable and thinks it is complicated then this is the item to make a start with.  




I had it completed in under 45 minutes (as I said I am not a fast knitter).  And it was such a fun design as well.  




Beginning to cast off.


To the right it is almost finished and below is the completed piece before sewing it up and attaching beads for eyes.

 The owl would have had better definition if I had used a thicker wool  but I am quite pleased with how this has turned out.
Today I am going to buy the right size needles and some chunky wool and have another go.

4 comments:

  1. Much much better results doing the pattern as the designer intended. And as I have now read the article properly here is the designers blog address cozy-season.blogspot.com this is not a link so it will need to typed into the search bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! Would you mind telling me what size needle and weight yarn is recommended? I'd love to try this out! Thanks, Melissa (Raverly ID: melissaanndixon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recommended yarn was CHUNKY and the needle size was 5mm. I used 5.5mm needles and chunkish wool. It came out very well. You may be able to get hold of a back issue of the magazine or they might be able to get you the pattern. I was unsure about mug cozies but they really do keep drinks hot for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I am going to have to try this out. --Melissa

    ReplyDelete