I brought three metre of this pretty Rose and Hubble fabric and cut it carefully (this time very close to the pattern, I did change the sleeves slightly) and there should be enough fabric left to make a fitted summer top or sleeveless blouse.
I often line the bodices of dresses, partly because if the skirt is very full this gives the garment more strength, partly because it is easier than sewing the recommended facings and partly to just make the overall finish neater, This cotton is very lightweight so lining it was a must. I decided to finish the neckline and the elbow sleeves with shell edging. It has been years since I last did this. A catch stitch every four stitches gives a lovely decorative edge - just like a line of shells in a seaside garden.
The dress was finished in time for my nieces planned birthday holiday in Rome. I also want to make her a froufrou petticoat to wear with this dress when she comes home to finish its retro look.