Last autumn inspired by a magazine article I purchased a couple of old, very boring looking hardback books with the intention of altering them. They didn't cost very much and meant nothing to me. I liked the idea of secret drawers and little compartments hidden within the pages of a book. I read and re-read the article several times, found some matchboxes of the right size and shape for the drawers and time past by.
weekend I decided to make a start altering the first book. I drew in
the two areas that I needed for the drawer and the compartment. Then it
was time to pick up the knife and start cutting. I cannot describe how
painful it was to deliberately damage a book - it really
felt wrong. I don't know if this is just me, did the designers in
writing books about ALTERED ART or for magazines feel the same way the
first time and if I decide to make another one will it be easier making
the first cut.
It would have been easier if I had remembered to cover the book before starting to glue the pages together and I think I made my home made MODGE PODGE a little to runny but on the whole it is going to plan. Starting from the back - I have stuck one group of pages together at the back of the book for some journaling, then carried on glueing pages togther around the matchbox and onto the compartment. I am going to have another page further foreward to decorate. The outside of the backcover has been covered, I just need to edge the cover before glueing down the back pages of the book and I think that I will cut a hole in the front cover before covering it.